This workshop explores the skills and best practices for transitioning from an academic environment to one of many non-academic career paths. It introduces strategies for career planning, emphasizing an ongoing process for professional development throughout your career.
- Being strategic in your career planning
- What skills you need for non-academic jobs and how to acquire these skills while still in the lab
- Networking as a part of life
- Crafting your “elevator pitch”
- How to create a master resume (inclusive of all your skills)
- Creating position-specific resumes
- Ample time will be provided for Q&A with Josh
Presenter: Josh Henkin, PhD
Founder, STEM Career Services, LLC
Josh is the founder of STEM Career Services, a career coaching company aimed at helping STEM graduates launch and sustain careers outside of academia. He conducts workshops at conferences, universities and institutes across the country and provides career coaching to STEM graduates at all levels of their careers. Josh sits on the National Postdoctoral Association Board of Directors. He is also an AAAS Science and Technology Policy Fellow Alum, AAAS member, and is an AAAS Career Development Center subject matter expert.