Best Practices for Writing NIH Grant Proposals
In this course, Dr. Shaaretha Pelly shares her experience teaching proposal writing workshops at AAAS, and writing NIH grants as a Science Officer at Johns Hopkins University. This course covers proposal writing, the typical concerns of reviewers and addresses some features and requirements that are unique to the NIH. Dr. Pelly provides a quick guide to the NIH, how it is organized and discusses the types of funding and how to locate funding opportunities. Other topics include how to apply; the receipt, referral and review process; the five standard review criteria and NIH specific aims. This course complements the Avoiding Common Errors in Proposal Writing course and the principles discussed in that course will apply to NIH proposals as well.
This course will help you:
- Understand the organization of NIH and the proposal review process
- Place research goals in the context of funding agency priorities and intentions
- Learn the types of funding and how to locate funding opportunities
- Understand the five standard review criteria and NIH specific aims
Instructor: Dr. Shaaretha Pelly
Shaaretha Pelly works with the Research Competitiveness Program at AAAS. She provides guidance to government, state, university and research agencies in building scientific and research capacity, largely through peer review. This involves providing advice on funding announcements, analyzing proposals for scientific content, assembling scientific review panels, and managing the independent peer review process and development of consensus. She has facilitated the peer-review process for multiple state-funded grant competitions with diverse funding objectives, and taught workshops on proposal writing to researchers. Prior to joining AAAS, Shaaretha was a science officer at Johns Hopkins University, where she wrote and managed NIH grants and awards at a center.
Duration: 1 hour
- Proposal writing tips
- Typical reviewer concerns
- Features and requirements unique to NIH
- Guide to the NIH, including organization
- Types of funding and locating opportunities
Quizzes: 1 quiz
- Certificate of completion
- Earn 1 PDH
$69 for Members!
Purchasing 6+ courses?
Contact us for special pricing.