Best Practices for NSF Grant Proposals
This course shares extensive practical insight regarding National Science Foundation grant competitions and proposal development. The course includes: an applicant’s quick guide to NSF, how NSF is organized and how to navigate the organizational structure, how to find funding opportunities, how a proposal is handled, understanding the merit review process, how to avoid rejection before the review process and how to address NSF’s unique review criteria including Broader Impacts. This course complements the Avoiding Common Errors in Proposal Writing course: the general strategies discussed in that course will apply to NSF proposals as well.
Those completing the course will know how to:
- Navigate NSF’s organizational structure and governance
- Stay aware of new funding opportunities
- Interact with NSF Divisions, Directorates and Program Officers
- Understand NSF’s merit review processes and review criteria
- Avoid rejection before a proposal is sent to review
- Develop proposals that are responsive to the NSF Review Criteria, including Broader Impacts
Instructor: Charles Dunlap, Program Director, AAAS
Charles E. Dunlap, Ph.D., Director, AAAS Research Competitiveness Program. Dr. Dunlap has worked for nearly two decades leading the design and implementation of programs to strengthen and support research competitiveness in science, technology, engineering and mathematics in the United States and 23 countries. His work includes designing and leading career skills workshops for more than 4,300 scientists, engineers and their graduate students in 20 countries. He received his Ph.D. in geology/geochemistry in 1996 from the University of California, Santa Cruz, where he received a U.C. Regents Graduate Fellowship and an IGPP Fellowship for research at Los Alamos National Laboratory.
Duration: 1 hour
- NSF’s organizational structure
- Funding opportunities
- Strategies for avoiding rejection
Quizzes: 1 quiz
- Certificate of completion
- Earn 1 PDH
$69 for Members!
Purchasing 6+ courses?
Contact us for special pricing.